A birth certificate is a vital document in India, but it is also in demand amongst the NRIs for various reasons. If a person wants to apply for a visa, passport, or license, it is mandatory to have an NRI birth certificate. NRI birth certificates are necessary as an authentic document of being born in India for procuring a green card. It is mandatory to register every birth with the concerned state government within 21 days of India’s occurrence. But at times, due to unavoidable circumstances, if the person cannot get their birth certificate, they have to provide a non-availability birth certificate (NABC). NABC is a legal document used in the case of NRIs, which states that the search has been conducted to find proof of birth of a specific individual under section 17 of the registration of birth & death act. The municipal corporation issues the non-availability of the birth certificate in India. If it is a rural district, one can get it from the vaccination department. If you are an NRI and cannot travel to India, you can now apply for an NRI birth certificate online from the comfort of your home easily.
Modes of applying for NABC
There are two modes through which NRIs can apply for NABC.
- The direct method needs to visit the nearby municipal corporation office and request the health officer and registrar. A search needs to be conducted to see no record of birth at the registrar’s office. Once it is confirmed, an application and the required documents can be made at the concerned office. The registrar will then verify the application form and issue the NABC.
- Online method- this is a comparatively much more effortless and time-saving method of getting NABC. Simply visit the website of the municipal corporation of the concerned state and register yourself. After the registration, online services can be availed by the applicant. The applicant has to look for the form titled issuance of delayed birth order. Fill in all the required details of the form and then upload scanned images of the supporting documents like address proof, identity proof, verification of birth, etc. once all the documents are completed, online fees for withdrawing NABC have to be paid. A receipt number will then be generated that should be kept with the applicant for future reference. The whole procedure can take a week to a month to validate the information and provide the NABC.
The process to apply for an NRI birth certificate online without traveling to India
The NRI documentation service is necessary for the NRIs to access the administrative documents and other legal documents easily. For an NRI birth certificate online, the following steps need to be followed-
- The first step is to visit the municipal corporation website of the concerned state.
- Then register to their web services with the help of a voter card or an Aadhar card.
- After registration, go to the form titled issuance of delayed birth order.
- Fill in the necessary information in the form and upload scanned copies of the documents required.
- After the submission of the form, pay the online fee.
- A receipt number will be generated to be kept for future reference.
- The validation of the information can take a week to a month, and then the NABC is provided.
Documents required to apply for NRI birth certificate
The following documents are required-
- Pan card
- Adhar card
- Ration card
- Voter ID
The documents required for birth proof include-
- School certificate
- Driving license
- A nursing home, vaccination card, or hospital report.
- An affidavit
Authorities in charge of issuing NABC in India
In urban areas, the municipal corporation of the concerned state is responsible for issuing NABC. While in rural areas, it is the paramedical staff is authorized to issue the certificate. For NRIs born before 1969, the Indian consulates can issue the NABC.
Eligibility criteria for applying for an NRI birth certificate
Every Indian state has different eligibility criteria for the issuance of NABC. for instance, in Delhi, the following criteria should be fulfilled-
- An NRI or an individual who is a citizen of India, born within NCT of Delhi jurisdiction.
- The individual should not have any birth certificate issued from anywhere in India.
- There must be a minimum one year gap between the date of birth and date of making.
How can NRIWAY help you provide NRI documentation services?
The NRI way offers different NRI documentation services to make the user’s life comfortable and more straightforward. The NRI way helps save the health department’s trip with the birth certificate application assistance services. NRIs who cannot travel to India can seek professional help from NRI way, which provides NRI documentation services like applying for a birth certificate. NRIWAY simplifies the users’ cumbersome process by guiding them with the directions and documents to apply for a birth certificate. Apart from helping you in getting your birth certificate, we also help you in getting your birth certificate apostille if you’re planning to go to abroad.
The NRI way provides NRI documentation services 24/7 and 365 days of the year to have quick access to the services anytime.